Finding a Mentor
A mentor is someone who has knowledge and expertise in the area of your project. They can help you by answering questions, directing you to resources, or helping you get access to materials and equipment.
1. Visit SMARTS: http://smarts.youthscience.ca/. Visit all the links provided.
2. Use your local resources, such as a teacher, health practitioner, or the parents of friends
3. Ask us! We can help you in finding a mentor. We can also connect you with science fair alumni
4. Visit the web site of a scientist at a University who is doing research in the general area of your project. Read the whole of the web site, so you are very familiar with all aspects of the research. Think of an appropriate question to ask, and then send an email. Be sure to do your homework, so that you do not ask a question that can be easily answered from other sources. The site does not need to be Canadian.
5. The key is persistence. Don’t give up if you are unsuccessful on your first few attempts.